Re: [T3] What causes?

On 24 Sep 2001, at 16:11, Per Lindgren wrote:

> The front windshield is NOT made from strengthened glass. That is why
> it is laminated instead. If the windshield should be hit by a rock or
> similar, it will not shatter in to 1 billion pieces, the reason for
> this is that the driver will loose visibility if the window will
> shatter. The laminated screen will crack, not shatter and visibility
> is maintained. Many older VWs (pre '70 or so) does not have laminated
> screens. My 68 Bug is one of them.

Laminated safety glass windshields were supplied by VW wherever
they were required by law, or where the importer spec'ed it. Non
laminated type 3 windshields are in the parts list, so they must
have been sold somewhere, but I don't know where.

US code has required safety glass windshields since at least the
50s. I don't know when it started. We have some friends who spent
a few years in Nigeria in the 70s and there were no safety glass
beetle windshields there at that time. They averaged 2 new beetle
windshields per year there.