RE: [T3] Engine stalls and won't start (stupidly long)

On 24 Sep 2001, at 9:31, JSmith3@SARCOM.COM wrote:

> I checked the spark and it is good, form the plug and coil.  I checked
> all the wires for the Fuel injectors, all were good.  One thing I did
> find is that the person that owned the car before had connected the
> new stereo to the Fuel relay under the dash.  I disconnected all
> wiring to the stereo. I did something stupid in which I left the rotor
> out when I checked the points etc.  However, the sound of trying to
> start the car with out the rotor, is the exact sound it makes when it
> will not start as mentioned before.  This lead me to believe, it has
> to do with the rotor.  I had replaced it about 2 weeks ago.  I may be
> completely off base, just guessing.

It is good to get your stereo off the fuel pump circuit. The fact that
the rotorless engine sounded just like your usual failure really
doesn't mean anything because ALL completely dead engines
sound the same.

> Additionally, after trying all
> this and going for a test drive, it stalled again while driving after
> only about 5 minutes.  I was able to start right back up. Also, could
> this having anything to do with the work the mechanics did? Replacing
> the fuel injector, vacuum pump.

Vacuum pump??? There's no vacuum pump on our engines.

> The reason I say this is before I
> took it there I had no problems with it stalling at all.  I drove it
> for 7 hours from Tennessee and to work and back for 3 weeks with no
> problems.  The only reason I took it to the shop was to get the
> hesitation/powerloss problem addressed.  Any more Ideas?

I'd take a close look at all the parts that they actually replaced, or
messed with, that might kill an engine completely. A bad injector
would not do this.

Do you hear the normal relay clicks in the car when you turn the
key ON?