Re: [T3] Has anyone noticed?

Did all Type3 motors go to 1600 in 1971?

I have a Volkswagen AG booklet entitled "Motorkennbuchstaben-kW/PS"
(1989) which gives engine number prefix codes and very basic details of
every VW and Audi engine manufactured in Germany until 1988 except for
stationary engines.

It lists four 1500 single carburettor flat Type3 motors as follows:
K    1.5litre    33kW/45PS    08/65 - 07/73
M    1.5litre    30kW/41PS    08/65 - 07/73    M240
N    1.5litre    38kW/52PS    08/65 - 07/73    M240
R    1.5litre    40kW/55PS    08/63 - 07/65    (usually the 'R' was not
stamped on these early engines)

(M240 is an optional low compression engine with bowls in the pitson tops.)

So, it would seem that the single carburettor engine was in production
for Type3s right up until production in Germany ended in July 1973.

I have two Type3 sales brochures in English issued 08/71 for the 1972
models.  One is a general overseas one which I got in Singapore.  It
covers "1600A, 1600TA and Variant 1600A" as well as "1600L, 1600TL and
Variant 1600L" and indicates that for all these models the standard
engine is a 1600 twin-carburettor motor but that "optional for all
models at reduced price is the 1500cc engine with single carburettor"
(i.e. even 'L' models could be ordered with 1500 single carb motor).  It
makes no mention of fuel injection as an option.  The other brochure
just like the one I got in Singapore is a British market version with
the same photos and covers only what it calls the "Fastback 1600TA" and
"Fastback 1600TE" and "Variant Estate 1600A" and "Variant Estate 1600E"
('Estate' being British for wagon) and says there are only 1600
twin-carburettor or 1600 electronically-contrlolled fuel injection
motors available.

So, it seems British buyers could not get the 'L' model but could get
the top of the range 1600 fuel injection motor but not the bottom of the
range 1500 single carb motor.

And, incidentally, my German brochure issued 08/67 for 1968 models
indicates that all Type3s including "A' models have 12 Volt electrics.

Simon Glen
Toowoomba,  Australia.