Re: [T3] Right Hand Steering Type3s

Regarding the list of countries where one drives on the left side of the
road, I understand that VW Type3s would have been marketed in all of
them except for India, Bhutan and perhaps Nepal.  Also, VW Type3s with
right hand steering were also marketed in Nigeria, Ghana and Sierra
Leone.  These countries changed from driving on the left to driving on
the right in 1972 and 1973.

Right hand steering Type3s have been built alongside Beetles, Type2s and
other VWs at factories in Australia, Ireland and South Africa.  Other
right hand steering VWs (but not Type3s) have also been built in
Malaysia (Beetles, Type2s), Indonesia (Beetles, Type2s, Golfs,
181-Things, Basistransporters), New Zealand (Beetles, Type2s), SriLanka
Golfs) and Singapore (Beetles).

Some 55,000 VW Type3s were manufactured and CKD-assembled by Volkswagen
at Melbourne in Australia between 1963 and 1974, all of them with right
handsteering and virtually all of them were sold within Australia.

A total of 38,313 VW Type3s were CKD-assembled and manufactured by
Volkswagen at Uitenhage in South Africa between 1963 and 1969, all with
right hand steering.  (And, incidentally, a total of 34,438 VW Type4s
were manufactured in South Africa.)  Most of these Type3s and Type4s
were sold within South Africa.

It is hard to work out how many VW Type3s were CKD-assembled by motor
Distributors Ltd at Dublin in Ireland between 1969 and 1973 but the
figure must be only around 4,000 at the most.  They were all right hand
steering cars and were sold within Ireland.  I am not aware that any
were exported to Britain or elsewhere.  (Davbe Hall, do you know?)

A number of right hand steering VW Type3s were also CKD-assembled by
D'Iteren SA at Brussels in Belgium but I have no idea how many.

Likewise, although the bulk of right hand steering VW Type3s would have
been manufactured at Wolfsburg in Germany, I have no idea how many.
However, most if not all of the British VW Type3s would have come from Wolfsburg.

Regards,

Simon Glen
Toowoomba, Australia.