Re: [T3] 6 volt voltage regulator

On 20 Sep 2001, at 20:44, Y and C Everhart wrote:

> I was wondering if anyone can tell me how to adjust my 6 volt voltage
> regulator to put out about a half or one more volt than it is putting
> out now.  I will be attaching a trailer to the car, and there is too
> much resistance in the trailers wiring for the lights to be bright.
> (I did switch out the trailers bulbs to 6v) Is this even possible
> without damage to the battery or other parts of the charging system?

It's possible, but you really don't want to do it. First check to see if
you are getting all the voltage that you are supposed to be getting.
A "6V" system should put out 7-7.2 V with the engine warmed up
and running at medium RPM. If you don't get that then the best
choice is to replace the VR.

Adjusting a VR is best done on a generator test stand and takes
some special skills and tools. Basically you just want to tighten up
the spring on the regulator contact while leaving the cutout relay
alone. It's very touchy, and it won't be successful if the VR is
already worn out.