Re: [T3] Elfrink Manual Permission?

Ron wrote:
>>this is true they will contact you , i had a ordeal with Mattel and a
collectors magazine , Mattel was after me for Trademark infringment
cause my
website has hotwheels in it , and the magazine was after me for posting
pictures that were from the magazine which i didnt know.. both sent
warning
, the magazine i couldnt fight but Mattel well lol my website still
stands<<

I deal with copyright issues daily in my work in book publishing, and I
think that there would be very little risk in posting a chapter of
Elfrink. Since it's out of print and the publisher is no longer in
business it's unlikely that anyone would raise a complaint. The copy I
have is the 1971 edition, which I think is the newest one. Unless the
publisher renewed copyright in the last few years (unlikely) it has
become public domain.

The situation with Mattel (and VW for that matter) is different since
it's a trademark issue. In the US trademarks have to be aggressively
protected by their owners; if infringements are allowed to stand
unchallenged courts can rule against the trademark owners and they can
lose any exclusive rights to their own corporate identities. Companies
like Mattel, VW, Disney, etc. actively look for any infringements and
challenge them not to harrass enthusiasts but rather to protect
themselves from legal challenges. It's damage control.

Scott
62 1500 Ghia
65 1500S Squareback Sedan