Re: [T3] questions about fastback

On Sunday 16 September 2001 10:09, Lee Billiot wrote:
> a couple of questions,  I have a '71 fastback, engine
> went south.   would I be able to use a stripped-down
> type1 standard longblock if i swap the flywheel for my
> tourque converter?  The blocks look the same.... also
> would the type1 fit in as is?  or should I go ahead
> and do a strip down and reconfigure it as a type 3?
> Any hep would be appreciated....

Since you have an automatic I take, you will need a cut-out behind the
flywheel for access to the torque converter bolts. Also, the T-1 block does
not have a place machined for the T-3 dipstick tube, unless it has a
universal case. The T-1 dipstick tube will have to be plugged, and the T-1
oil sender hole will too.
You will need to swap the cooling tin from the T-3 to the T-1 long block. The
T-1 cooling will not work in a T-3. The T-3 requires that the cooling air
come in through the rubber boot at the rear of the engine. Without the boot,
you will be pulling hot air off the muffler back into the engine causing
overheating.

--
Russ Wolfe
'71 Fastback AT