Re: [T3] I got my engine to run!!

On 11 Sep 2001, at 12:14, Daniel Baum wrote:

> My 1969 T34 automatic ran under its own steam  today for the first
> time in several years!!

Congratulations, there can't be many T34 ATs around!

> However, it won't go backwards. I haven't tested this out at all
> thoroughly, because every time I move a few feet I have to push it
> back into its parking space. It may even go forwards in neutral, I
> just don't know. I know absolutely nothing about automatic gearboxes,
> but is there some electrical connection I have to make, or something
> that might be stuck? It definitely has transmission fluid in it.

The late Bentley manual is probably your best source of info on the
AT. It may be as simple as requiring a bit of a cable adjustment.

Are you aware that the ATF level must be checked with the engine
running and in N? If you aren't sure of the cable adjustment, it
might be best to check this with a friend in the driver's seat with
one foot on the brake pedal.

-
Jim Adney
jadney@vwtype3.org