Re: [T3] Unexpected oil change problem

Daniel Baum,

I had this problem once with a 1971 model VW 181 ("Thing" in USA) which I
bought.  Eventually, I removed all six of the little studs which the
capped nuts screw onto.  This ruined each stud as I used Vise-grips or a
Mole-wrench to do it (but it is easy to replace these studs with new
ones).  Then I got a plank of pine wood about 10mm thick, 100mm wide and
400mm long, placed up against the bottom of the case with one end up
against the flange of the cover plate.  Then I gave the other end of tne
plank of wood a hard wack with a hammer.  The cover plate came away and
dropped to the ground.  In this case I was horrified by the amount of
solidified dirt and grime stuck to the upper inside of the cover plate.
Some people just never remove the cover plate when servicing a VW and,
despite this, the little engine just keeps on going and going!

Simon Glen
Toowoomba,  Australia.