[T3] Crank thrust clearance

I have a technical question for the experienced engine builder.
I am still building my engine, a little every weekend as time
is short now days. I am still paranoid ever since the stripped
cam gear incident. I have bad paranoid feelings about my
seemingly perfect careful work so far, I think the mismatched gear
took some of my confidence away.

I started with ten shims, I placed three of them in and either got it too
tight (hard to turn) or too loose when I tightened the crank/flexplate.
This was a long difficult thing to do using the gage flexplate
puller on and off . I got it around .005 then satisfied put
everything together with grease and gasket and rtv and the crank
movement ended up around at .01 .  The rtv and gasket
ended up adding additional thrust clearance, so I removed the flexplate
and placed a shim at random , put everything together , tightened
to 200 lbs  and  found that the flexplate and crank assembly
tuned easily and smoothly . I tried to measure the endplay and
found it very small below .002  .

I have a several questions, can I place four shims instead of
three at the  end of the crank ? How do you compensate for
gasket and sealant at the end of the crank that mates the
fly wheel/flexplate not to mention the oil bettween shims ; When
it is put together ? What happens to the engine and compnents
when the thrust is too small to measure and the crank turns
smoothly and freely ?  Will the engine expand long wise alot
and tighten the crank when clearances are below .002 inches?

Please answer all of the questions, I do not wish to make the wrong
decision and mess something up again . I think if my gage does not
measure much play at all, almost zero,  because of the grease on the
shims and the gasket at the end of the crank it may be ok but I am
not shure so let's   hear it from the experts.

LEON MARTINEZ

1969 SQUAREBACK EFI/AUTO
SAN DIEGO AND TIJUANA