Re: [T3] Should i take it on the trip?

On Tuesday 04 September 2001 20:52, jesse and monica wrote:
> Hey all,
> I may be buying a 71 squareback from Justin a fellow type3.org listee.
> He lived in Maine, i live in southern pennsylvania. It's about 550 to
> 600 miles each way. I want to try to drive the car home but....but here
> is the catch. The car has 2 head studs pulling from the case. The studs
> are not on the same cylinder. Would i be an idiot to try to drive the
> car this far in this condition? I really don't want to have to pay to
> have the car shipped. My wife would probably be driving a rental car
> along with me so if the car broke down we could pull it off of the road.
> What you you old schoolers out there think? Leon, you always seem to
> know how far these engines will go. I just want to know if i should be
> even considering this. thanks for all of your help everyone.
> later,

It is possible to drive the car 600 miles with just 2 pulled studs, but are
there any others getting ready to pull. How is the rest of the engine? I
wouldn't try to drive it very hard. They do make a screw in replacement studs
that could be put in to get it home. The inner end of the stud kinda looks
like a modified tap. It is self tapping.
Any possibility of towing it. with like a U-hual truck. Or maybe rent a
one-way truck big enough to put the car inside.

--
Russ Wolfe
russw@classicvw.org