Re: [T3] 68 Fasty Trans (Swing)

On Monday 03 September 2001 21:22, Erick Williams wrote:
> Hello Everyone,
>
> My 68 fasty (swing) does this weird thing. When I put
> the gearshift in reverse and drive for about 10-15 ft
> it POPS right out. It sounds pretty painful. I think
> it could be my shifter bushings or my nosecone. Any of
> you have this issue?

I hate to say it, but this is the common failure of a VW transaxle. The
reverse gear gets wear on it from all the years of not coming to a complete
stop, before putting it into reverse.  That and the fact that the reverse
shift fork in the eary transaxles was made from a fairly soft brass, and it
has some extra linkage that the other gears don't have.
I wish I had a dollar for every reverse gear I have replaced over the years.
It was standard proceedure to replace reverse  when a trans was apart.

--
Russ Wolfe
russw@classicvw.org