Re: [T3] Paint

Hi all,

Thanks to all for the paint advice.

> If your air filter gets hot, get worried!

The car is not actually running yet. I am working mostly on wiring, but also
on cleaning up the amazing amount of crud and muck and slime and schmutz
that the car has accumulated over what appears to be years of neglect. I
don't have all that much time to work on it, so it's going fairly slowly. I
hope to be ready to try to start the engine in 2-3 weeks.

In the end I gave the top of the air cleaner 2 coats of Hammerite. I cleaned
it thoroughly using Hammerite paint thinner, which seems great for getting
oil and grease off. It was only then that I realised that there was clearly
visible orange writing on the bottom part of the air cleaner.

The top of the air cleaner was originally crusted with thick rust. I got
most of it off with rust remover (also made by Hammerite, I don't work for
them, honest! but it is really great stuff. It did a wonderful job on my
bumpers and hubcaps) but there was still some that I couldn't get off so I
think Hammerite was the right choice.

It looks wonderful, but whether it lasts or not we'll see later on.

> There's a Hammerite satin finish that might look just right, but degrease it
> well first!

That may or may not be what I used. The labels are all in Hebrew over here,
and it translates as "smooth black". In any case, it's very glossy, and
rather "plasticky". I like it. I have photos of everything both before and
after, and when I get around to it I'll be setting up a website, so you'll
be able to see the results for yourselves.

As to Per Lindgren's advice to heat the metal up before painting it, this
actually arrived after I had already finished the job. However, this is
Israel not Norway, all you have to do heat metal to 100¡ F is to leave it
out on the patio for a few minutes, so it probably was about that hot when I
painted it!

Best regards,

Daniel Baum
'69 T34: Everything's missing, nothing works