[T3] Amazing '65 Notch

I have this afternoon (Saturday) I have just been totally amazed by the
beautiful 1500S notchback that I have located and been allowed to look
at in a tiny rural town some 60km from where I live in the wheat-growing
Darling Downs.

It is a 1965 model with chassis number *315 030 329* (about September
1964) engine number 0703224.  It has only 30,068 absolutely genuine
miles on the speedometer.  It has the original owner's glovebox manual
and some 1965 brochures as well as a full service record with all
receipts since it was first bought from "VW Motors Ltd" in Brisbane.
Moreover, it is totally immaculate and has never been dinged at all.  It
has spent all its life in the dry wheat belt known as the Darling Downs
and has always been garaged when not in use.  The paint is totally
original and there is not even a hint of rust anywhere.  The dash shows
no signs of cracking and the upholstery and roof lining are also
perfect.  All the window rubbers are perfect and it still has its
original exhaust and spare tyre (a cross-ply).

It was bought by a little old lady (yes, its true!) who used it to go to
Church on Sundays and to lawn bowls at other times as well as occasional
trips to the shops.  She died in 1988 and the car has not been used
since.  Her son now owns it and he is in his late 60s.  He and his wife
drive current model Fords and he has kept his Mum's VW stored and not
renewed the car's annual registration (license) since his mother's
death.  All four tyres are flat and have deteriorated with time.
Unfortunately, he will not part with it and wants eventually to get it
going for his own use but knows of its value as a perfectly preserved
car from a past era and so agrees that not only is there no need for
restoration but that it should be kept original.  He is aware of the
need to take special care when he eventually starts it again.

I just hope and pray that some hoons don't get hold of it.

Just thought I would let other Type 3 listees know about what I have
seen today.

Simon Glen
Toowoomba,  Australia