[T3] Ignition alternatives

<x-flowed>Well, I've just finished three days of "drive like you stole it" testing
with the new ignition in my '65 T1.  (1776, Kadrons)

Let me warn you this is a longish post. =)

I've been eyeing some of the points-less setups on the market and keeping
an ear out for peoples opinions.  Then on Friday I was at the local
pick-a-part yard, and had a flash of inspiration when I saw the '85
Vanagon.  I came home with the Vanagon's distributor and associated wiring,
the module (which I actually grabbed from a Jetta) and coil.  Set me back
about $35.

The distributor is a dual-advance with vacuum retard and the Hall-effect
system, AND it fits the aircooled engines.  The wiring harness is a bit
long, so I shortened it (and took out the plugs for the FI's idle
stabilizer) and cleaned up a bit.  The distributor dropped in place like it
belongs there, the module mounted to one of the coil bracket screws, and it
fired right up after I set the timing.  The biggest sticking point in the
installation was looking at the new setup on the ground, looking at my
engine and thinking "Is it really *that* simple...?"

I am in love with this setup.  My car now fires on the first crank EVERY
time, and it idles, winds up and runs smoother than it ever has.  The
lag/hesitation I always had with the 009 is gone, the little crackle in the
stereo is gone, and my mileage has increased.  And I haven't hooked up the
vacuum advance yet!  I can't wait to see what *that* does for me. =)  And
find more stuff to put this setup into the Fastback...

So I've been doing some thinking and research about this over the last few
days.  First, all the parts are standard later-model VW, which makes for
easy replacement.  The particular distributor I used is from a 1.9 WBX, so
the advance curve should be well suited to our engines (same stroke, same
rods).  The module, coil and Hall unit are the same on a lot of the
watercooled VWs (I checked part #s).  The module is a little black thing
about the size of a (small) box of matches, screwed to a large-ish aluminum
plate.

If anyone might be thinking about trying this for themselves, the sticking
point may be the distributor.  I'm not sure of the whole range of years
that this was used, though I'm sure of '83.5-'85 (the 1.9 WBX).  '86 and
later Vanagons are no good, the distributor has no advance mechanism (the
curve is controlled by the FI computer).  The module, coil and wiring can
be grabbed from any watercooled VW with the Hall-effect system, with the
wiring shortened (or lengthened) as needed.   The module is hiding under
the black splash-shield under the hood.

Maybe this will inspire someone... <cackle>