Re: [T3] Solder gun wattage

On 30 Oct 2001, at 9:31, Everett Barnes wrote:

> I need to solder some wiring on my T34, what size gun should I buy?
>
> I bought a 100-watt one last night but it won't get the wiring hot enough
> to melt the 60% lead/40% tin solder I am using.  Or am I using the wrong
> solder?

The wattage you need depends only on the amount of copper
connected to the part you're trying to solder. For normal gauge
wire, 100W is WAY overkill. 60/40 solder is fine.

One thing to keep in mind is that there is a real skill to soldering on
crimp connectors. If you're not good at this so you can do it VERY
quickly, then the gripper edges on the sides of the female
connectors will easily get hot enough to anneal them.

Once they are annealed, they are worthless and will never make a
sound connection.

The only way to avoid this is to solder the joint so quickly that the
connector part doesn't come up to temp.