Re: [T3] White exhaust? Oil consumption

on 10/30/01 10:31 AM, Jim Adney at jadney@vwtype3.org wrote:

> On 30 Oct 2001, at 1:08, Mike Wodkowski wrote:
>
>> OK, so last week I set my valves, .004 intakes, .006 exhaust.
>> I noticed Russ said he set his at a loose .004 and a tight .006
>> That was after I did mine, which were set to a tight .004 and a tight .006
>> I haven't had a chance to loosen the intakes yet.
>
> This really get pretty subjective quickly. You don't ever want to adjust the
> valves to a "tight" anything, because then you don't really know what you
> have. To me at least, "tight" would mean that I've actually started to
> compress the valve spring, and once you do this you can't tell by how much.
> So a "tight" .004 could be .002 or .000 which would definitely bad.

Thanks for the advice. I'll reset the valves this weekend! By tight, I meant
that I was setting them so that the .004 gauge would go in, but .005
wouldn't. But I think I'll loosen up on that a bit.

Regarding oil consumption, I'll have to keep an eye peeled.
I DO have a leak somewhere, and I'll have to trace it.

Just for confirmation's sake: I've always been told that as long as the oil
is anywhere above the low mark and below the high mark of the dipstick, all
is well. Comments?