[T3] Valve setting history

Listees,

The question has come up about what to set your cold valve lash
to, and when VW changed its recommendation.

I know that the 68s came with a recommended setting of
.004/.004" and I assume that the 67s were the same, since they
had the same heads. Still it would be good if someone with an
original 67 owner's manual could verify this.

Over the weekend I had a chance to look thru some of my stuff and
I found that my very early 72 owner's manual shows .004/.004" but
the 73 manual shows .004/.006. From this I suspect that VW
changed its recommendation sometime during the 72 model year,
and I suppose that there may even be late 72 owner's manuals out
there with the .006/.006" recommendation in them.

Those of you with 72s and 73s should check your owner's manuals
and let us know if you find something different that I found.

Once VW changed their recommendation, they made it retroactive
back to ???? I don't really know. I suspect at least 68, but possibly
67. My recommendation is .004/.006, intake/exhaust as the
exhaust valves are the only ones that run hot and have a problem.

-
Jim Adney
jadney@vwtype3.org
Madison, WI 53711-3054