Re: [T3] Loud exaust and GEX

On 27 Oct 2001, at 4:15, jezzina wrote:

> Besides all the FI problems I am having with my 71 square it makes
> this horrific sound from the exaust. It sounds as if it has a blown
> gasket but that is not the problem at all, I have replaced all
> gaskets. I did notice that when I advance the timing the noise gets
> louder and when I retard the timing to about the first timming mark
> on the wheel teh noise goes away but the motor barely runs.

It is probably just an exhaust leak. You should run your hand all
around the exhaust system with the engine cold so you won't burn
yourself. You should be able to feel the hot air leaking out
somewhere.

The timing for the 71 should be to the left most mark. If it doesn't
run well there, then I suspect that your mechanical advance is
frozen up. You can check for that with your timing light. If it is
working, you should be able to see all the timing marks march to
the left as you rev the engine up. They should move about an inch
and a half or so.

If they don't, this will destroy your engine's performance and
economy. I can fix this by rebuilding your dist. The cost is $55 plus
any needed parts (often none) and including return shipping.