Re: [T3] Chrome or not to chrome? (engine)

On 26 Oct 2001, at 6:02, Ron Arnold wrote:

> i had stock cooling tins on my 67 bug , it had Scat Nylon pushrod tubes , i had
> no problems at all , i put chrome cooling tins on the motor the nylon push rod
> tubes melted like a paper bag .. id say there is a big change in the heat that
> chrome draws

I'll bet that these were the aftermarket tins, which lack a few very important
little welded-on air deflector plates inside them.

Or were they actual OE tin parts which had been chromed?

It's also possible that some of the cooling tin parts had been left off. There
are actually a BUNCH of tin pieces, and I'll bet that the places who sell
chromed parts don't bother to provide everything. So there's always the
chance that the final user won't like the look of his engine as a half-and-half,
so some vital parts are left off. Or some people will throw away all their old
parts, order the new parts, and just put them on assuming that what they
have is complete and correct.

(First rule of repairs: Don't throw away anything until the replacement is
installed and proven to be working well.)

-
Jim Adney
jadney@vwtype3.org
Madison, WI 53711-3054