Re: [T3] Chrome or not to chrome? (engine)

In a message dated 10/25/01 11:34:12 PM Central Daylight Time,
jadney@vwtype3.org writes:

<< Subj:     Re: [T3] Chrome or not to chrome? (engine)
 Date:  10/25/01 11:34:12 PM Central Daylight Time
 From:  jadney@vwtype3.org (Jim Adney)
 To:    type3@vwtype3.org

 On 25 Oct 2001, at 6:13, DGaries808@aol.com wrote:

 > I wouldn't chrome parts, just because I've heard that (and seen) VW's
 > with chrome parts always having cooling problems afterward. It results
 > in having to lift the decklid out of place for more cooling. Maybe
 > you've seen those type VWs. Next time you see one with the raised
 > decklid, check it for chrome under the decklid.

 I understand what you're saying, but I'm not sure if there is a direct
 connection between the chrome and the overheating.

 My personal tendency would be to assume that someone who is
 so consumed with his engine's appearance might well have
 neglected the subtleties of the mechanical innards and the cooling
 system. Or they may just be enthralled with the way the raised
 decklid looks.

Just for kicks, I recently broke my rule ... I turned in engine tin pieces
for my 1974 Super Beetle to have them  powder coated royal blue instead of
black. I'll let you know in about 3 months whether of not I had to raise the
deck lid. I think I'm all right,
but can't tell for sure.

Don Garies
dgaries808@aol.com