Re: [T3] Keep stock or mild custom??

On 24 Oct 2001, at 22:41, Rob Carpenter wrote:

> I have just bought my first type 3 over a month ago
> from original owners, nothing has been modified, its
> actually in fair condition well kept!!
> Im going to be in the process of perhaps a total
> retoration, "restoration" meaning keeping everything
> the same right?? Well what if I change the paint to
> like something not available in that year does that
> affect the value, what about lowering the front end a
> spline or two? Im also concidering getting 5 spoke
> polished empis.
>
> My question? What is the opinion of the Veteran Type
> III Owners??

Just my opinion, but you asked.  ;-)

It would be a shame to do any of these things to an old type 3 still
in good condition. The wheels could be easily restored, but the
other 2 things would reduce the valve significantly in my book.

Rather than think about all the things you could change, consider
all the things that the car actually needs to get it back in good
shape. None of us want you to start out with grand plans only to
lose steam and run out of cash halfway thru the repairs.

Don't worry, you'll find plenty of things that need your attention.