Re: [T3] Chrome or not to chrome? (engine)

In a message dated 10/25/01 12:48:54 AM Central Daylight Time,
brnagn7@yahoo.com writes:

<< Subj:     [T3] Chrome or not to chrome? (engine)
 Date:  10/25/01 12:48:54 AM Central Daylight Time
 From:  brnagn7@yahoo.com (Rob Carpenter)
 To:    type3@vwtype3.org

 I posted a chroming tin question the other day, I've
 definitely had some mixed thoughts on the matter. I
 still like the contrast some chroming give the motor,
 but not over kill, I was interested in only chroming
 the firewall tin, the pully tin, and maybe some other
 misc. But some of you are talking powder coating, now
 this is an option, im almost discouraged about the
 prices some of you have talked about. Perhaps I should
 stay with paint?

 Confused..

It costs about $100 to powder coat all engine tin plus another $100 to sand
blast the parts. You can save money by buying a sand blaster for $199 from
Harbor Freight Tools, but you will eat up the savings plus some unless you
have multiple jobs to do.

I have done 5 jobs now, and I prefer to let someone else do the sand
blasting. Thus, I pay the extra money for sand blasting.

I wouldn't chrome parts, just because I've heard that (and seen) VW's with
chrome parts always having cooling problems afterward. It results in having
to lift the decklid out of place for more cooling. Maybe you've seen those
type VWs. Next time you see one with the raised decklid, check it for chrome
under the decklid.

Don Garies
dgaries808@aol.com