Re: Rear Drain Vent

<x-charset iso-8859-1>On Wednesday 24 October 2001 22:20, Jim Adney wrote:
> On 24 Oct 2001, at 16:31, Will Harrison wrote:
> > I have a '71 Fastback.  The guy who painted my car 4
> > years ago didn't properly repair the rust areas in the
> > rear quarter area between the side and rear windows.
> > There are louver-like vents near the roof line in that
> > area, and what appear to be drain lines that run
> > internally.  I know this because the cancer was so
> > severe it ate a hole through the sheet metal.
> >
> > What's the purpose of those "drain" lines, and need I
> > attempt to repair the holes in them as well, or would
> > it be ok to cut and seal them off?
>
> I suspect you also have a sunroof, and those are the drains for the
> sunroof. They are important, and it's possible that they are clogged
> up, which could be bad.

All of the fastbacks, with flow through vents by the back windows,  have
these drains. They are to drain the louvers on the outside by the back
window. Type 1's have them too. The Squareback does not have them because the
flow through vents are right above the rear tail lights.
The end of those tubes just dump into the rear quarter behine the tail lights
and drain  out the flap valves below the rear cross member mounts. The rear
fenders have to come off to repair these lines if they have failed. Been
there, done that.

--
Russ Wolfe
'71 Fastback AT