Re: [T3] Anybody heard of this happening...?

On 24 Oct 2001, at 17:00, JSmith3@SARCOM.COM wrote:

> Jim had
> suggested that I may not have seated the distributor correctly...
> Well, I had to give in and take it to the shop cause it was beyond my
> skill level.  What seems to have happened was...after putting the
> dist. back in, I did not tighten it properly and when I tried to start
> it the drive gear moved 3 notches!!!  My mechanic was stumped for
> hours on the problem, we both noticed that the dist. did not look like
> it was in the correct position...and that is how they discovered the
> problem.  He has been working on air cooled for 25 years and said he a
> has never seen this happen.  Also he said that it took him 2 hours to
> reset the drive gear, which normally takes 10min...

I don't think it jumped any teeth, because it has to rise up about 2"
before it can do that. Perhaps it was already in there wrong, or
perhaps your mechanic put it back in the beetle position, which is
about 3 teeth off from the correct type 3 position. At any rate, my
guess is that you didn't get it engaged quite right when you put it
back in and that was your problem for the moment.

You can check to see if things are correct now by just looking at
the spark plug wires: If you stand at the back of the car and look at
the dist, the wire that starts at about 4 o'clock on the dist should
run to the #1 spark plug, which is the RF plug. If this is right, your
dist is right.

Go ahead and look, that won't hurt anything.  ;-)

It's okay, this is how we ALL learned!