Re: [T3] Grounding voltage regulator

On 23 Oct 2001, at 16:54, Daniel Baum wrote:

> Could you please let me know the correct way to ground a voltage
> regulator? I had assumed that it was via the contact of its "legs"
> with the body of the car, or via the screws that secure it to the
> chassis.

Up thru 68 the ground is thru the chassis and the VR mounting
screws. Starting with the 69 cars, VW added a LOT of separate
ground screws, including one for the VR. This latter wire is a brown
wire which runs from the VR to the generator.

At the factory, this latter wire was installed under one of the
mounting screws for the VR, but if you look closely at your new VR
you will find that it has a dedicated ground screw on on leg, and it
would be best to just connect this wire there.

While the grounds are all a very good idea, it is also unlikely that
poor grounding is responsible for your problem.

I have a charging system FAQ which I can email you if you like. It
describes how to troubleshoot your charging system and figure out
where the problem is. Anyone who want a copy should just email
me a request.