Re: [T3] '66 N model Notchback

Since sending this message below, I have been checking through old
sales brochures.  I have found that for the 1966 model year (01 Aug
1965 to 31 July 1966) German-made Type3 notchbacks were marketed in
at least two countries in Europe (Germany and Holland) as "1500A"
for the base plain-jane model with 1493cm3 single carb motor, as
"1500" for the full-trim model with 1493cm3 single carb and as
"1600A" for the plain-jane version model with 1584cm3 twin-carb
motor and as "1600" for the top full-trim model with 1584cm3 twin-
carb motor.  The 1493cm3 single carb engined cars had just a "1500"
script on the engine lid regardles of whether they were plain-jane
or full-trim models whereas the 1584cm3 twin-carb engined notchbacks
had a "1600" script regardless of whether they were plain-jane or
full-trim models.

However, for 1967 models the terminology was "1600A" and "1600L"
only and the engine lid script was either "1600" or "1600L".  And,
the "1600" or "1600L" script did not necessarily indicate a
1584cm3 (1600) twin-carb engine because it was possible to order
both the "1600" and the "1600L" with a 1493cm3 (1500) single-carb
engine.

And, I found a Canadian sales brochure which says that the "TS"
model was available for both the notchback and the squareback
(just as the "1500S" was available in Europe for the notchback
and the Variant).

Volkswagen have at times been very confusing with their names and
models!  It can be even more confusing to discuss names and models
for squarebacks or Variants!

Simon Glen
Toowoomba,  Australia.