Re: [T3] oil leak!! help!!

On 21 Oct 2001, at 17:01, Square67@aol.com wrote:

> I have a oil leak on the left side of my car. I thought it was the
> valve cover untill I installed a new one, still leaking.  I think it
> is comming from above the left cover(oil cooler?) I took a closer look
> and i see a wet spot on some tin above the valve cover.  It is
> dripping down on my heat exchangers and smoking bad as it burns.  Im
> not accually dripping a significant amout of oil, but it is enough to
> smoke when dripping on the heat exchanger.  As I come to a stop the
> smoke enters the cabin and I then have to roll all the windows down.
> But its not effecting the performance of my engine, it is running
> excelent. Could this be a leaky oil cooler or seals? any suggestions
> are helpful.

You may just need to get some better VC gaskets. Oil cooler
leaks usually occur where the OC mates to the case; you can
often see wetness on top of the case in that area, and the drip will
be on the side of the case, not as far out as the heat exchanger.

An oil leak usually washes away dirt, leaving a clean path, clearly
visible against the background of the normal dirty engine. Get
under there and take a good look with a strong light.

OTOH, it might be a loose stud letting oil leak out via its stud hole
in the head, but the most likely is a cheap gasket that is too thin,
or a VC bail that is deformed and doesn't exert enough pressure.