Re: [T3] update on cross threaded plugs

On 21 Oct 2001, at 12:03, veedub@apartment101.com wrote:

> I ran a compression test wet and dry and here's what I found:
>
> Cylinders 1,2,3 =3D 110-112# (consistent)
> Cylinder 4 =3D 92# (this was the cross threaded cylinder)
>
> I squirted some oil down the cylinder and the compression jumped to
> 110# on cylinder 4.  So, I am guessing that I cracked a ring.  Would
> this be = possible if my spark plug was cross threaded, and that
> cylinder was running lean?  Or would this have been a previous problem
> waiting to happen?

I don't know if these things might be related. I would suspect not.

> I will take the engine out and get a better inspection tomorrow.  In
> the meantime, I appreciate any thoughts you could send.

If the threads are okay then just leave them, otherwise take the bad
one to an automotive machine shop to have a Helicoil put in that
hole. This CAN be done with the engine in the car, but if you are
willing to take the head off they can do a better job if they can see
both sides of the threaded hole. You DON'T want to leave an extra
half turn of helicoil sticking into the combustion chamber.