Re: [T3] Oil Pressure Relief Valve Spring Length

<x-charset iso-8859-1>On Tuesday 16 October 2001 22:09, Jim Adney wrote:
> On 16 Oct 2001, at 11:38, shackedup wrote:
> > OK the car is a 63 single carb with early (.008" valve setting) heads
> > and god knows what for a case.  I do have enough oil in the car so I
> > removed the oil pressure relief valve to clean it up.  I have read
> > that the unladen length of the spring in there should be between 62
> > and 64 mm but when I measured it it was 73mm!!  The piston I removed
> > was the old pre-s type.  I cleaned up the spring, piston, nut and the
> > hole they came from and reassembled using a 62mm spring from my other
> > single carb engine.
> >

> The parts list shows that the same spring was used up thru 69.
> The Bentley says that spring should require 5-9 lbs to compress it
> to 43mm length. It's hard to actually do this, but it's really the only
> way to be sure. I didn't find a free length listed.
>
> Over the years there have been a lot of "HD" springs marketed out
> there which pretended to fix problems, both real and perceived. I
> have not seen them do anything, but I have some. It really IS hard
> to pick out the right springs.

If anyone needs to find out what their spring/springs are, I can check them
at work. We have the lab test equipment spring testers. We have to check a
sample of all the springs we recieve from our vendors, and have a digital
tester. (We also have to sort mixed springs once in a while when someone
screws up.)
We use thousands of springs a day in our production of fuel pressure
regulators, with about 10 different pressures on the raw spring, and they all
look the same to the naked eye.
--
Russ Wolfe
'71 Fastback AT