Re: [T3] Labrith oil seal leak

On 14 Oct 2001, at 14:55, phil cain wrote:

> Does anyone have a fix for a oil leak on the labrith
> oil seal on the turbine, the case appears to be worn
> around the seal.

Are you asking about the rear of the case and the reverse helix
groove in the fan hub? If so:

I don't think case wear there would cause much of a problem
unless it was extreme. OTOH, you have to wonder WHY there is
wear there. If it is because the #4 main bearing is worn out, then
you need to fix that problem first. I always take pains to clean out
that groove with a wire brush before installing the fan.

I have heard that installing extremely large oil pumps can
overwhelm the drain channel from the rear side of the #4 bearing,
but I haven't seen it myself. If this is the case, you could go back
to a more reasonable size, or enlarge the channel (add the same
channel to the other case half. It is also likely that a #4 main
bearing that is worn out or loose in the case would lead to more oil
draining out the rear of the bearing, which might also overwhelm the
drain channel.

Keep in mind that there is very little load on the #4 bearing, unless
the #3 bearing is worn out, and the #2 is the most likely to wear
first.

I don't recommend the sand seals because you would have to
machine the helical groove off the fan hub, and this might weaken it
slightly. In general sand seals are never necessary, except in type
3 engines in dune buggies, where sand can actually get in between
the case and the fan housing and get sucked into the engine there.