RE: [T3] SOLVED! Hard Starting (6V) (kinda long)

On 11 Oct 2001, at 14:11, Jaranson, John (J.W.) wrote:

> Until I can get a new switch and/or fix my switch, I want to wire in a
> secondary push button starter switch.  Anyone know what the pull-in
> and hold amperages are for the 6V solenoid.  My Bentley has the 12V as
> 35/11 for Bosch and 30/12 for VW solenoids
>
> If the power required is the same, that would be 60-70 amps pull-in
> for the 6V!  Is it really that high?  No wonder the switches wear out.

I've always been suspicious of these numbers, too. Most sources
quote the same high numbers, though, so they may be realistic. I
would expect the 6V current to be twice the 12V current, so yes,
the old switches have to be very high current.

I'd love for Russ to write back and explain that all those old
numbers are wrong!

-
Jim Adney
jadney@vwtype3.org