Re: [T3] Hard Starting (6V) (kinda long)

<x-charset iso-8859-1>On Wednesday 10 October 2001 10:05, Scott Taylor wrote:
> John wrote:
> >>These symptoms/observations are what led me to beleive that there are
>
> two
> problems........one with getting the engine to turn over with the
> starter and
> iginition switch and the other with the spark or fuel that requires the
> ether
> to get it to start, but does not effect the running of the engine once
> it is
> running.<<

A good 6V starter with a decent engine, should pull about 125 amps while
cranking. If you have a fully charged 600 amphour battery, you should be able
to crank the engine for about 4 minutes before the battery goes flat. If you
can get ahold of a automotive starter test system, see what your starter is
pulling while cranking.  Check the bushing in the bell housing. That is the
first think to go, and it will cause the armature to drag. Been there, Done
that.
I had the same problem until I replaced the starter bushing in the bell
housing...

--
Russ Wolfe
'71 Fastback AT