[T3] Hard Starting (6V) (kinda long)

<x-charset windows-1252>First the good news.  I drove my 66 Square around the block under its own power this past weekend!!!!  It was very cool to be driving an aircooled VW again.  Need to get insurance and plates now and working out the hard starting problem......

Symptoms:

1. Will turn over strong(for a 6V system) two or three times.  Maybe 5 seconds or so each.  Then won't turn over again.  Will occasionally turn over again after letting it sit for a few hours, but only once or twice.

2. Will start with Ether (starting fluid).

3. Will start again if it dies or I shut it off and try to start again right away once it is warmed up.

4. Runs good once I get it started.

5. Has a slight hesitation when first getting into the throttle.

What I have done so far:

1.  Put in a brand new 6V battery and I have charged it. (no battery when i bought the car)
2.  New plugs, cap, rotor, and points (car was last registered in the ealry 80's)
3.  Changed the oil.
4.  Cleaned and rebuilt the carbs. (stock 32 PDSITs)
5.  Statically set the timing.
6.  Checked and set all valves to 0.006
7.  Synced the carbs with a UniSyn
8.  Adjusted the chokes so that they just fully open when the engine is warmed up.  They fully close when cold (about 40F degrees the other day here)
9.  Removed and cleaned the starter per Dave Hall's webpage.  Have cleaned and verified all electrical connections in the starting circuit.
10. Cleaned out the fuel tank, replaced all the rubber lines and added an in-line filter beofer the fuel pump.  It has not gotten too dirty.

I am open to suggestions on what to try next or what to look at.  I do have a Ford solenoid that I can wire into the starting circuit.  I am wondering if the current draw is heating up something (switch/solenoid/etc) in the starting circuit and causing it to open.  I should expect the new battery to be able to crank the engine for more than 1 minute before needing a recharge, right?  Again the thing that gets me is that it seems to run good once I get it started with the ether.

I would like to drive it a bit before the salt trucks hit the roads here in the next couple of weeks, but need it to start somewhat reliably before I can do that.

Thanks for any thoughts and/or suggestions.

Later,
John Jaranson
'71 FI Auto Fasty (Jane)
'66 Square (???)