Re: [T3] 2nd best selling VW in the U.S.???

On 8 Oct 2001, at 13:30, Simon Glen wrote:

> Here are some Volkswagen of America figures which give part of the
> answer to your question of how many Type3s were sold in the USA.  They
> are for retail sales.
>     1965    4,723
>     1966    57,954
>     1967    69,292
>     1968    95,528
>     1969    95,527
>     1970    99,010
>     1971    105,056*
>     1972    80,386*
>     1973    62,542*
>     1974    23,307*
>     1975    6,552*
>
> The 'year' is the calendar year not the VW model year (which is from 01
> August to 31 July).  Therefore, all those 4,723 shown for 1965 are 1966
> models as 1965 model Type3s were never officially marketed in the USA.
>
> *Unfortunately, the figures that I have include Type4 retail sales as
> well.  So, the 1971, 1972 and 1973 figures also include Type4s which
> were intruduced for the US market early in 1971.  The 1974 and 1975
> figures are for Type4s only (unless the odd 1973 model Type3 lay lost
> in a holding yard somewhere and was not sold until 1974).

Interesting. I've never seen these figures. Since MY 74 was the last
year for the type 4s and yet they still sold 6K of them the next
year, I suppose it's likely that an even larger number of the 74
sales figures were left over type 3s.

It's too bad they didn't keep records by MY, but I suppose this is
what bean counting will get you.