Re: [T3] acceleration hesitation

Ron wrote:
>>I bought a new single carb VW in 1962...This problem of acceleration
hesitation or "flat spot" as it was called in those days, came with the
car and the design. I had the car back to the dealer numerous times.
They changed the leverage on the carb and installed many factory
sponsored "fixes" but neither VW or the factory had a fix. I learned to
live with it but it was sure a pain. Other wise I liked the car and
drove it to 80,000 miles.
The problem, I am sure was the single carb design and / or, manifolding
of the fuel feed.<<

I've read that this was a problem from the beginning, thanks for
confirming it with your actual experience. I've driven single carb Type
3s for 14 years and I've never been able to completely eliminate the
flat spot. It's especially pronounced if you accelerate while cornering
(something that some early Type 3 reviews made note of). VW made many
modifications to the carb, especially within the first two years, most
of which I believe were attempts to solve the problem. Somewhere in the
workshop manual there's a section that suggests some further alterations
that can be made to the accelerator pump to minimize the flat spot if
all else fails.

Scott
62 1500 Ghia
65 1500S Squareback Sedan