From: Daniel Baum [mailto:dbaum@isdn.net.il]
Sent: Tuesday, November 27, 2001 7:30 AM
To: type3@vwtype3.org
Subject: Re: [T3] Difference between a 67 and 68?

Hi,

What I do know is this: my car was first registered here in Israel on
10/10/68. So it presumably reached the country a few days earlier. That
leaves approx. two months for Karmann to do their stuff, and for the car to
be transported from Germany to Israel.

I will definitely write to VW asking for the birth certificate. I have been
intending to do it for some time and have never got around to it.

Daniel Baum

> Daniel,
>
> I believe you are correct.  All Type3 models, whether they be a
> Type31, Type34 or Type36, fit into the sequence of the last six
> digits of the VIN.  Thus, the only indication that your's is a
> Karmann Ghia is the second digit.  There was no separate chassis
> number sequence for fastbacks, notchbacks, squarebacks or
> Karmann Ghias.
>
> If your's was a Type31 or a Type36 and with that VIN of
> *349 003 500*, it would have come off the Wolfsburg production
> line in August 1968 i.e. during the first month of the 1969 model
> year production run.  However, Wilhelm Karmann GmbH would
> have had their own production schedule.  So, it may have come off
> the production line at Osnabreuck some time later.
>
> Nevertheless, I am fairly certain that your rolling chassis (floorpan
> with transmission, motor, suspension, steering and even wheels fitted)
> probably left a production line at Wolfsburg during August 1968.
> It would then have been sent by train to Osnabreuck for Karmann
> to build one of their wonderful cars onto this rolling chassis.
>
> I think the only way to find out exactly when your car left the
> Osnabreuck factory is to write to the VW Museum at Wolfsburg
> stating your car's VIN or "fahrzeug nr" and requesting a certificate
> of its production details.  You should enclose DM20 in cash or at
> least the equivalent in a currency that is easy for them to exchange
> allowing for bank fees.  (I always send DM20 in cash.)  You should
> get a reply within three weeks enclosing an A4 size certificate which
> shows the date it left the production line, when it left the factory and
> the destination (i.e. Germany, USA, Mongolia, Antarctica or wherever).
> It also usually lists the M-Options that your car was built with and its
> original colour scheme.  If you wish I could send you a scanned copy
> of one of my car's birth certificate just to see what they look like.
>
> The address is:
>         Fahrzeug Identitats-Urkunde
>         Stiftung AutoMuseum Volkswagen
>         Dieselstrasse 35
>         D-38436 Wolfsburg
>         Germany
>
> Regards,
>
> Simon Glen
> Toowoomba,  Australia.
>
> Daniel Baum wrote:
>
> > That's interesting.
> >
> > Now, Type 34s appear to have chassis numbers that are part of the
general
> > type 3 sequence. Very late '69s, for instance, have numbers over
200,000.

> > Mine though, an early '69 is 349 003 500, in other words the 3,500th
Type 3