[T3] a question about the 009 ;P

Hey all... I just got my first wholly self-built motor
into the back of my squareback. It's an 1835, engle
100 cam, stock heads, stock dual carbs, and a piece of
s#%& 009 distributor. My problem is a noticeable lag
on  acceleration, until about 1500-2000 RPM, when the
power kicks in. Most annoying.
I've got my carbs dialed in pretty well and the timing
set statically at about 7 degrees BTDC.
Can I use the stock vacuum advance distributor without
any problems? Will it work correctly with the added
displacement?
Can you imagine any other causes of the lag, besides
the 009?
Thanks for any thoughts,
Phil