Re: [T3] Wiper motor

On 23 Nov 2001, at 7:02, Russ Wolfe wrote:

> It sounds like the wiper motor started to move and then stalled. When it came
> off the "parked" position, it closed the circuit that returns it to "park". This
> circuit has power all the time the key is on, until the motor gets back to the
> park position, even with the wiper switch off. Us people that live in the snow
> belt here in the USA have this problem when the wiper get frozen down to the
> windshield. I don't think ice is your problem. I would start looking at the
> linkage going from the motor to the wiper shafts. Something is in a bind, or
> caught on something. BE CAREFUL. I have seen a wiper motor take the end off a
> persons finger when it came free and started running.

My first thought was different, but I think that Russ is right. Check for
something caught in the linkage, or it is quite likely to be just the wiper
shafts frozen in the bearings that lead them out thru the bodywork.

Ditto on the CAUTION! Once you think you're ready to start actually poking
your fingers in there you should disconnect the battery ground strap
BEFORE your fingers are in the way.
-
Jim Adney
jadney@vwtype3.org