Fwd: Re: [T3] 2 cars 2 problems

<x-charset iso-8859-1>

Subject: Re: [T3] 2 cars 2 problems
Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2001 20:29:19 -0600
From: Russ Wolfe <russella@prairieinet.net>
To: jadney@vwtype3.org

On Thursday 22 November 2001 20:06, Jim Adney wrote:
> On 22 Nov 2001, at 13:58, Mark Healey wrote:
> > Car 1 71 FI manual square.
> >

> > Car 2 71 FI automatic square.
> >
> > When I make a hard right or a fast right on a freeway entrance it
> > seems that the engine is cutting out.  I can't tell if it is ignition
> > of fuel.  I tried to duplicate it by jacking up the side of the car
> > with it running but I guess I can't get the side high enough to mimic
> > the centrifugal force that is causing the problem.  How to I find the
> > problem with this?
>
> If this happens only on a nearly empty tank, it is normal. Other
> than that, look for wires that could short if moved. You might get a
> second person to just watch a timing light while you do this; they
> don't have to be watching the timing marks, just the flashes to see
> if you still have ignition (flashes) while this is happening.

This is not normal in a clean gas tank, even when the tank is low. There is a
"well" in the bottom of the tank, that holds about 1 1/2 quarts of fuel that
the pump actually draws from. The return line also goes into this well.
Around the return line, there is a narrow gap that replenishes the well as
gas is actually used. If this small gap gets clogged with rust, and the tank
is below about 1/4 tank, this well will eventually run out of gas.
I think Tom Hansen has a picture of this on his web site that shows how he
adapted this to his old style tank.
Both of my tanks had this problem, and I ended up replacing the tank. I could
not find any one in my area that would boil out either of my tanks.

--
Russ Wolfe
'71 Fastback AT

</x-charset>