Re: [T3] 2 cars 2 problems

On 22 Nov 2001, at 13:58, Mark Healey wrote:

> Car 1 71 FI manual square.
>
> It's running lean.  I suspect that it is air getting in the fuel
> lines. When it hasn't been running for a while it takes a long time to
> start. to test this I shorted the two connectors on the fuel pump
> relay under the dash for about a minute before starting it.  Took off
> the short and it started right up.  I stopped the car and shorted the
> relay again to test the fuel pressure.  I noticed an odd sound coming
> from the fuel pressure regulator.  The sound coming from it sounds
> when you use your tongue to push some drool between your teeth.  Is
> this normal or is it a sign of a LOT of air getting in the fuel lines?
>
> The fuel pressure is 28.
>
> I've replaced all the fuel lines at the back end of the car.  I plan
> to replace the ones in the front when the tank is nearly dry.

Does the tank develop a vacuum when driving? If so the vent lines
may be clogged, which would tend to make the pump draw in air if
there are any tiny leaks.

With the tank full and the cap off, pull off the fuel line where the gas
flows INTO the pump. You should get a full pencil sized stream of
gas. If not, then the outlet screen and/or the fuel filter are clogged
and should be cleaned/replaced. If these are clogged, then the
suction on the inlet side of the pump can cause air to be drawn in.

> Car 2 71 FI automatic square.
>
> When I make a hard right or a fast right on a freeway entrance it
> seems that the engine is cutting out.  I can't tell if it is ignition
> of fuel.  I tried to duplicate it by jacking up the side of the car
> with it running but I guess I can't get the side high enough to mimic
> the centrifugal force that is causing the problem.  How to I find the
> problem with this?

If this happens only on a nearly empty tank, it is normal. Other
than that, look for wires that could short if moved. You might get a
second person to just watch a timing light while you do this; they
don't have to be watching the timing marks, just the flashes to see
if you still have ignition (flashes) while this is happening.