Re: [T3] seven questions for thanksgiving

On 22 Nov 2001, at 1:44, Daniel M. Hoopes wrote:

> building up a 1776 (92's, i know, not reccommended...) longblock a
> local guy did for me and i have a few questions:
>
> 1.  it's a -new- case (brazilian) and i'm using an old oil cooler.
> so, i use the green seals with no spacers, right?

With your 67 cooler, this is correct.

> 2.  the stud for the cooler was the M8 (13mm nut), so i just put in a
> longer stud and drilled out my cooler a little wider in the hole area
> and it fits over the new, longer stud.  is this acceptable for long
> term?

I don't know. Are you sure that drilling out the hole did not break
thru to the interior of the cooler? If so, that would be one heck of an
oil leak. The preferred way to do this is to use a step stud, but they
seem to be hard to fine.

> 3.  i wanted the CR to be around 7.0 and the guy did it, but it seems
> like there is a lot of the machined part of the cylinder, at the head
> end, showing.  should i be worried?  (i'm using cb performance 044
> heads)  if i wanted to change it later is it very involved?  is it
> something that i should take the time to do right, now.  will my
> cylinders crack or something?

Everything gets weaker when you hog them out to fit cylinders this
big. Anyone who does this can't really be after longevity, so you
shouldn't be disappointed.

> 4.  i heard the Type 3 "cool tin" helped keep the cylinders cooler so
> i have a set to use.  these are the tins that go under the cylinders
> and are really big compared to the little dinky 3 by 3 inch peices i
> had there on my old engine.  is this "cool tin" really cool?

Yes, it's better, but it really doesn't fit right unless you also use the
other lower cooling tin parts from the 71-3 type 3s.

> 5.  should i use the louvered chrome metal plate that goes between the
> breather stand and the case?  it comes with the standard gasket set.
> if it do, it makes the holes for the fan shroud too high (2 gaskets so
> no metal on metal, plus metal louvered thingy).

It's just aluminum and yes you have to use it. Don't use any
gaskets, just gasket sealant on either side of the louvered plate.

> 6.  anyone remember how long the hoses need to be made for a full-flow
> oil filter?  i'm getting the steel braided hose with the crimped,
> permanent ends made down at the local hose place.

All depends on where you choose to mount your filter base.

> 7.  i guess a correlated question is;  what is the best location for
> mounting an oil filter?  i don't want it to show too easily.  how
> about the rear part of the engine compartment, right behind the fan
> housing?

Pretty much a matter of personal choice. Short hoses are better. I
mount mine on the rear mount crossbar, but you don't have that
option.