RE:RE:[T3] Coils

>I think the Bosch coils are also oil-filled, it's just that they are full, with
no air
>space so they don't slosh. I'm not sure about this, though, they might just be
>filled with tar, but you will notice that they develop an oily region around
all
>the seals as the years pass.

That makes sense, I was confusing epoxy with tar, as that was what I thought
was leaking around the seals.

>There's nothing wrong with an oil filled transformer, in fact it's the best
>insulation money can buy. At my former job I designed, built, and tested a
>1:1 230V power transformer isolated for 175kV. It was oil filled and worked
>like a charm. It's now a standard product for that company.

I agree with you on the qualities of oil as an insulator on stationary
equipment, but on a small, high vibration part?  It seems that if the tar
leaks out over the years, it must be really tough to keep the oil in there.

Thanks for the info, Jim

-Yancy Everhart