Re: [T3] Older brakes on old car

On 20 Nov 2001, at 17:49, Mike Wodkowski wrote:

> on 11/18/01 10:05 PM, Jim Adney at jadney@vwtype3.org wrote:
>
> > The 72 would have come with the late calipers, so is it possible
> > that someone has swapped the whole front axle beam? What about the
> > calipers makes you think that they are the early ones?
>
> Smaller brake pads required. I kept going to Auto parts stores and
> asking for brake pads for 72 And they were always too big. Finally one
> day the bulb went off, and I asked to see pads for a 70. They were the
> ones.

Okay, that's pretty convincing!  ;-) You're better off just sticking
with the early calipers and other parts. Changing back would
require bunches of new parts. Don't worry, there's not that much
difference. The late pads will wear longer, and possibly fade less,
but they both stop equally well.

The 73 that I am trying to get all fixed back up came to me with an
early steering knuckle and caliper on the left side only. I fixed that
a few years ago. ;-)