Re: [T3] Fring order

"Chris Prinsloo [VDB DEV]" wrote:

> Hi all,

Hi Chris!

> I'm new to this list so excuse me for asking questions that you all know the answers to.

No need to excuse! We've all been in your position one time or another, so now we enjoy educating others so we'll keep these cars alive.

> 1: What's the firing order? I have a Beetle as well, firing order 1432 with 1 rear right. I thought the T3 was the same, but my Auto Digest say 1342. All the high tension leads were removed when I got the car.

The firing order is 1432. The numbers are stamped in the sheet metal by the plugs/carbs, but could be difficult to spot because of dirt/grime/rust. Seen from top, the cylinders are arranged like this:

3 [] 1
4 [] 2

Flywheel is front, of course.

> 2: Which is no 1 ? When I use right rear as no 1, the timing marks is somewhere on the bottom when it fires. I presume the timing marks should be in the vertical position when no 1 fires? I know that the rotor should point at the slot in the dizzy body for no 1. I verified that right rear was on the compression stroke when the rotor points to that cylinder.

Cyl #1 is right front. The rotor turns clockwise, so start with #1 at the chisel mark, and work your way around.

> 3: The carbs were dirty and I took them off and cleaned them. What should be a good setting for the idling to get it started? 2 turns out from completely in?

I cant remember right now, but the basic settings are described in the Haynes manual. I've been through this some times, as I have a dual carb car myself.

> 4: I got it running for 30 seconds one time, as soon as I touched the accelarator linkage it died, couldn't get it going again. Any one with suggestions to start from scratch?

As I mentioned above, the basic settings are described in the Haynes manual. You should get that one, and the US Bentley manual as well, even though the Bentley doesnt cover the carbs, only Fuel Injection. You can get the books from many sources like e.g. Amazon.com and some list members have used ones for sale as well.

PerL
73 Variant L