RE:[T3] The saftey FAQ

 Phillip, I have had the headliner out of both a fastback and a notch. On the
fasty, the only thing up there is the roof with a reinforcement 3to4"on the
edges , and 4to 5" on the ends, the rest is just sheet metal. Now on my Notch
with factory sunroof, its a different story,it has this big piece of metal
tray that the roof rides when its open, that is welded via tabs to the edges
of the reinforcment on the sides of the roof, along with the added metal for
the tracks and the drains. The rest of the roof looks like the fastback
although its much shorter. The ends on the notch roof only extend inside
about 2to 3" that are later covered with headliner material. I've also seen a
bug without it's headliner, and it looks a lot like a fasty up there, but
with more support. I don't know if this helps you or anyone else that there's
not a lot up there above your head, but I don't see any reason for NOT
putting in as big a sunroof as you want in there, unless you're trying to
keep it 100% stock. The problem with that is most people haven't seen a stock
type3 let alone a modified one, and you probably see a beetle (stock or
otherwise) more often than a type3. I always got comments on my wife's
fasty---my uncle,dad or neighbor had one of those but it was a
convertible(thinking it was a ghia, not a type3). Now with the Notch I get
new comments with it--what the hell is it, to nice fiat-doh! I usually tell
them to look at the emblems more closely, ITS A VW. When I had my square , I
didn't get to many off comments, most people knew what it was when they saw
it.--Haven't seen one of those since I left California dude.  Sorry for
getting off on a rant.
Bob 65 Notch S w/ Sunroof