From: Jim Adney [mailto:jadney@vwtype3.org]
Sent: Monday, November 19, 2001 8:41 PM
To: type3@vwtype3.org
Subject: RE: [T3] The safety FAQ

On 19 Nov 2001, at 12:33, Erkson, Toby wrote:

> Heck, the air-cooled Type I and II's didn't have roll bars and they
> were far more open than any ragtop (of which did come stock in T1
> form).

The convertible Beetles DID come with a greatly beefed-up pan in
the rocker area, however, to replace the stiffness which
disappeared with the roof.

I don't think most people appreciate how much stiffness the intact
roof, with the internal stiffening ribs, really contributes. Leaving the
door frame above the door intact, as I believe you've done, helps a
lot, but there's still a penalty.

</x-charset>