RE: [T3] The safety FAQ

<x-charset iso-8859-1>Though I'm not positive about the "stress on joints"  (what joints?) I know
my full-length rag top has not changed the handling characteristics of my
ride.  Any loss of structural rigidity is very, very minor, possibly
observable only because I actually push my baby to her limits.  The vast
majority of people don't do this, except in an emergency maneuver and thus
begin their second mistake...  Lowering the car introduces  obvious handling
changes.  Remember, the top stays within the boundaries of the rain gutters
(at least 6" on mine) and several inches from the front/rear edges (over a
foot for me in the rear), be it a half or full ragtop.

Besides, anyone who owns a convertible should understand the risks involved
with open-top driving.  Inserting ragtop (or removable hardtop) and the
safety risks seems overly alarmist to me.  Heck, the air-cooled Type I and
II's didn't have roll bars and they were far more open than any ragtop (of
which did come stock in T1 form).

My convertible-type personality .03¢

   Toby Erkson
   air_cooled_nut@pobox.com
   '95 VW Jetta III GL 2.0L, P-Chipped, Jamex sport suspension
   Portland, Oregon, http://www.icbm.org/

</x-charset>