RE: [T3] Pollute less with more gas? (was: Dual carb versus EFI ?)

<x-charset ISO-8859-1>Hall is correct.

For a part to become certified, it must pass this board.  It takes some time
but mostly money which is why many after-market companies DON'T have their
stuff certified because they would need to pass the costs on to the consumer
(of course) and that would drive up the cost of their part.  However, if
certified, this means the part complies with California emissions stuff and,
for all practical purposes, can be considered a stock component.  In my case
with the chip, emissions are within legal boundaries and everybody is happy!
If my understanding is close, I think this is similar to Europe's TÜV(?)

Yes Jim, your statement about the engine running hotter for emission stuff
is correct for the stock (unaltered) Mk.III engine (my Jetta's engine).  One
after-market setup is to get a thermostat and temperature fan switch that
'come on' at a slightly cooler setting to 'over-cool' the engine (keep it's
temp below stock operating temp), thus getting some more hp.  I don't think
this is a good idea for our cars and a separate topic to debate for the
curious.

   Toby Erkson
   air_cooled_nut@pobox.com
   '95 VW Jetta III GL 2.0L, P-Chipped, Jamex sport suspension
   Portland, Oregon, http://www.icbm.org/