Re: [T3]

On 18 Nov 2001, at 11:01, cheflayne@yahoo.com wrote:

> I am a new owner of a 71 sqbk w/ FI. After a period of
> tracking down bad grounds, leaking fuel lines, vacuum
> leaks, etc. i got back on the road. It drove
> beautifully for about 10 miles, then started bucking
> like crazy and backfiring.I limped home with the
> problem being somewhat intermittent. Next day same
> scenario. I checked the harness ground at the brain
> terminal and it read 0. Then I checked the head temp
> sensor at the brain terminal and it read 1.7.
> Shouldn't it read more like 60 hot and 2500 cold. I an
> assuming that the sensor is bad. Does this make sense
> and do the symptoms fit.

You pulled off the brain and measured the resistance to ground thru
the head temp sensor (with the brain no longer connected to the
sensor?) Did you do this on the R x 1 scale, or was this an R x
100 scale?

If it was disconnected from the brain and really measured 1.7
Ohms to ground, then the sensor is shorting. It is likely that the
insulation around the wire is cracked  and the wire is bent sharply
at the sensor, so that it shorts there. You can probably fix this by
straightening the wire carefully (slide back the teflon sleeve) just to
see if this makes it go away, but you should probably eventually
replace the sensor even if this seems to fix things.